Quote:

If someone told me this was a long lost demo track by Ray Davies for the Kinks' first album I'd have believed them totally. You sound exactly like Ray on this song and the choice of notes for the vocal harmonies are the same ones the Kinks always chose. So I assume they are a strong influence on your music?
I like the sound of your voice on this and the lyrics are very interestng.

The backing contains a lot of poor timing, lurches and other mkistakes.
BUT, it's the 'rough demo' sound and feel of the song that make it so catchy and downright enjoyable. You've managed to do with ease what others (including myself) strive to do: fill a song with verve, enthusiasm, immediacy and energy - the pixie dust of pop - instead of becoming lost in the vortex of trying to make the details perfect. Well done.

Some astute words are contained in this post. As talented as the Kinks were, they still haven't been given their due on par let's say with their contemporaries - such as the Beatles, The Stones, and The Who. And I was quite drawn to their music; perhaps for the very aforesaid reason, as a youth, (aside from their enormous body of work which I admired) - as I tend to always root for the underdog. So yes, Ray Davies, has had an enormous influence on me, and so also has Dave Davies, his band-mate brother. Some other influences I have, include early Elton John (so long as Bernie Taupin was involved) Chuck Berry, without a doubt, and Johnny Cash who was the subject of my first record collection.

I have always felt that I kind of outdid myself with 'Key of A', and it was a subliminal gift sent to me from somewhere in the North of London.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RG