I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "marketing".
In my opinion (and a few others judging by the wishlists)if PGM wants to attract a younger audience it needs:

1. The much requested modernization of the user interface
2. A possible streamlining or simplification of the feature set.
The KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) acronym would probably be best with today's need for instant gratification
3. More modern styles and loops focusing on what the younger generations are into.
4. A youth oriented name change which could apply to this new, modified "lighter" version of BIA/RB. I kinda like "RealBand Studio" myself:)

This "lighter" companion version could be used as an introduction to the full blown program we all know and love.

Except for the new UI and the addition of some more modern styles, all the pieces are probably already there under the hood.
It may even be possible to ship the full blown program under the new name which could have features unlocked as it was upgraded or customized by the users.

Not knowing the economic situation of PGM and what they want as far as market share, it may not be cost effective at this time but may become a necessity if they want to bring the kids in.

Carkins