Quote:

Scott, I just discovered something almost amazing. Biab has a new competitor. Check this out from Cubase 7:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/start.html

It's the Chord Track and Chord Track Editor. I have to leave for dinner but I just gave a quick listen to this video and it's definitely encroaching on Biab territory especially the chord follow feature that takes the chord from your live playing on your controller. It doesn't look like it's like an arranger keyboard or anything but it's used to modify your existing project. They also talk about how the program changes the audio tracks as well as midi tracks AND, AND picking a style. Considering they don't have our Real Tracks, that sounds like you can record your own audio part like a guitar or whatever and if you use the Chord Edit function it actually changes what you recorded. That sounds very interesting. Got to go but I'm checking this out further.

A quick note if anybody wants to get a feel for where the music biz is now just give a listen to all the background music with the different DAW's. No jazz, classic rock, country etc here.

Bob

Bob, it still looks way behind PG capabilities - but that won't stop the new customers to go with Steinberg. Steinberg will get way more press on this matter due to their sheer magnitude.

This all reminds me of what I saw happen to GM during my 15 years there. I had to leave when I believe the company was making the best products it ever made.

I did lots of work for GM at customer clinics in LA-LA-land in the late 90's and early 2000's. In my time out there I saw the REAL customer base; not the protected Detroit area 'buy American' customer base. I saw more used Honda Civics and Accords and BMW 3-series than I could shake a stick at. I saw all the kids buying used Civics, that in their later years would be Accords and Bimmers. One thing their future purchases wouldn't be was GM vehicles.

I hope that PG can turn that corner to attract younger customers so that questions like Joe's leading question for this thread, no longer seem to be obvious to even a newcomer like him.

As PG's unique value proposition, that of autogeneration of backing tracks, perhaps becomes more of a commodity, then their future state becomes more fuzzy, IMO.

I hope that I am wrong in this assessment, BTW.

-Scott