I completely agree Pat, just pointing out one possible answer to the original question in this thread.

I've been thinking of getting one of the better controllers and either upgrading my old Sonar or getting a new DAW that has better features than Real Band like remote transport control, automation, works with Jamstix and the like. I don't need it but it looks like fun. They all come with different software packages and I've been reading about that and looking at online video tutorials.

It's unbelievbly difficult to get anything from them because nothing is remotely related to our music. I have to watch the videos, listen to this total crap stuff and try to discern if all those controls, sliders, pads will actually relate to what I want to do. It's not easy believe me. I can't just turn the volume off because I need to listen to what the presenter is saying and all the background "music" makes my teeth ache. It's all about how the Akai pads are great for creating beatz just like their MC controllers so popular with hip hoppers, how these cool looking led sliders can trigger arps and envelopes and those things sound like absolute s***, how these Novation buttons can change scenes in Ableton and the examples sound like my cat in a blender, look at this hot sub bass beat cruncher plugin in Mixcraft and listen to all that cool wall thumping lo fi crap and hear the presenter say in a low throaty voice "Oh...yeah" and talk about how great it is and on and on. Nobody is demoing how to record and mix a basic band with horns and vocals for example. I've been on Live's forum and there are a few real musicians there who talk about how they use Abelton for that but I sure can't find any examples of it, it's all this other junk so I basically take it on faith, yeah these things will all work and I'll be on my own with whatever I decide to get.

Nobody is going after us boomers except for PG so that's their niche for now. But, in ten years...

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 01/08/13 03:01 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.