Quote:

<...>
Not sure whose "older MIDI styles" you are referring to, and what "not-so-right" you are referring to, but if it is our styles, then, no, they weren't step entered. <...>

I don't want to name any names, and I never pointed a finger at anyone -- but there was a competitor of mine that once told me that I wasn't good enough to make step entered styles. Although he is no longer selling his styles, they seem to be freely traded on the Internet. Plus there are plenty of step-entered styles floating around the web in the web pages of people on this board and e-groups.

But I do respectfully disagree with you in the quantized drums area. For disco, techno and similar styles I think they are appropriate, but for many other styles I personally feel if they are entered with a drum controller by someone who plays that controller well, they can be better than quantized drums by falling into the pocket.

In a heated on-line discussion with the former competitor, I explained how one particular song delayed the 2nd and 4th beat of every measure, and on every second measure the 4th beat was delayed even more than the rest. He disagreed. Someone else with the scientific instruments to measure the delay, actually did so and verified my statement.

To me this is the biggest reason why humanizing doesn't do the entire job. It's also the reason why IMHO live entered input, whether they be for your styles, my styles, anybody else's styles or anybody's MIDI file can sound far superior to a step-entered or quantized style - as long as the person doing the playing as adequate skills to do so.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks