Quote:

"MUSICIAN", "BAND", "DJ", "KARAOKE", "SINGER"... those words are too specific for me.

I like the word "ENTERTAINER". It covers anything you can do to entertain an audience for pay.

let me flesh this out rather than letting it rot on the compost pile of excess verbage...

I'm close to retirement, but my employer figured out a way to screw me out of the pension that was supposed to be deferred earned income... and the market has decimated the 401k that was supposed to replace the pension. We all know about social security's problems.

I want music to be my vehicle for making up the difference between bills and retirement income.

I believe in the adage "different strokes for different folks." A salesman has to sell what the customer wants. There are venues that want full bands, while others want singles acts, DJs, Karaoke, open mic, comedy club etc.

The gear required to be a band, solo act, DJ, karaoke act is 90% the same. If I carve out only one niche, then the most I can get is a fraction of the action. But if I am prepared to offer multiple entertainment services, I think I can stay busy enough to turn down the least desirable gigs and still have a comfortable retirement.

In summary, I am NOT interested in playing for free or for tips. I am specifically interested in generating income.