Quote:

I bought a very inexpensive ($150) system from Behringer that I absolutely love for small venues like local dive bars with a small crowd. It is the EUROLIVE B205D Active 150-Watt PA/Monitor Speaker System and it mounts on your mic stand. Has two inputs that each accept XLR or 1/4" plug. It has input for your mp3 player, phantom power and a basic EQ.

It certainly won't compare with Mac's Bose L1 but it sounds pretty sweet for small venues and you can't beat the price!

And I just noticed they are replacing the 205 with a 207 which has a bit larger speaker, an additional mic input and a built-in mp3 player so you can play your recordings from a USB stick.

I saw a bluegrass band last night and they used this cool little PA. The venue was very small, about the size of a McDonalds. They stayed 4 feet away from the mic, and you could still hear each performer singing. The instruments were acoustic, not amplified, so they just used it for vocals. They might not have needed a PA at all for this gig, but it was clearly capable of a lot more volume than they were requiring of it.