Hi Paul. Couple of comments on this latest part of the thread, on mixing:

I've tried the VRM box. It's a neat trick for listening, but I'm not convinced that it should be used for mixing. The trick to mixing is to learn how your setup 'colors' the sound and to compensate, and minimize the coloring as much as possible. I'm not sure that would be easy with the VRM. As an example of the concept, most pro studios have a set of Yamaha NS-10 monitors - the ones with the while cones (no longer available). They are HORRIBLE. But engineers use them because they do not color the sound. If the mix can sound good on them, it will sound great on anything else!

And, if I can help it, I never mix on headphones. Checking the mix is another matter, though, and this is where I can see a good use of the VRM, especially to check for muddy bass.

I love my SONY 7506 headphones. I've used both of mine for so many years, I've gone through two sets of replacement pads. I have the 7509 as well, but it sounds too 'boomy' to me. The 7506 is great for tracking (wearing while recording).

For longer listening sessions, I prefer the on-ear style of my Alessandro Ones (like a Grado) since they are more comfortable, but you can't use open headphones while tracking. So, if I had to choose only one headphone to use for everything, it would be the 7506.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors