I gotta go with Josie on this one:

Quote:

I don't like the idea of encouraging someone to use others to write their "song idea" for them instead of learning the craft themselves while it remains "their song" - just saying.

Including a forum that lets other folks “guide” you into a song isn’t the same as writing a song. It’s collaboration. Nothing wrong with that, but it ceases to be “your song”, regardless of the forum rules about input from others.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with someone critiquing a song AFTER it’s written, but I couldn’t possibly care less about what they think of the song before it’s finished. I’ve never gotten an idea about one of my songs from anyone that I even considered worthy of consideration. (Let me stress this. Not even a little bit).

If I had wanted someone else’s input, I would have simply suggested that they write a song for my listening pleasure. But stay the hell out of my song creation. You either like it or you don’t. Don’t ask me to help write one for you.

My vote is a thumbs down for that forum because it would only provide a crutch for someone who can’t complete a song on their own. Write a song. Ask for critiques if you want them. Then write another one. Don't ask someone else to do it for you.

Song writing principles would be fine, but that is easily handled on the OT forum.

Someone else can give you tips for riding a bike, but only you can peddle it down the street.

The “How do I” forum is a good idea, as is “Add On’s for Band-in-a-Box”. But I do think they would take away from the OT forum.

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 02/16/13 11:54 PM.