Quote:

I belong to a couple songwriting sites where there is peer-to-peer critiquing, suggestions and assistance going on all over the place. It is not that big of a deal to be worried about. None of these songs are going to be radio hits (ha, ha). It doesn't mean the songs aren't any good, it just means that they are folk just like us. If they were on the road to "hits", they wouldn't have time to hang out in songwriting forums.

I am neither for nor against a songwriting section -- but since there are more dedicated sites to this endeavor, it might be a case where it isn't needed. However, maybe some folks use this as a their primary internet site and it would be useful. It would take a while to gain traction, though.

Yes, if one of my songs ever became a "hit", it wouldn't surprise me to get sued by someone on an internet forum claiming to have "helped" me during the creation phase. Of course that person will be someone that didn't really help at all (ha, ha). It is a low probability risk, I do believe, though.

As a songwriter, I enjoy helping other songwriters (aspiring and otherwise) improve their songs by doing critiques and offering suggestions where I can. 90% of the time my opinions are ignored, because the songwriter wants to do what they want to do -- I am OK with that.

Kevin, you are dead right! For these types of conversations we tend to always worry about the most unlikely things! Yeah, it is possible a hit could come outta here but highly unlikely! So let the 99.999999% have a good conversation and learning experience and don't worry too much about the highly unlikely. Want another good example? Since Feb 1, 2013, as of this writing, there have been 5,329 new songs posted over at FAWM.org and many of those are collaborations between two or more people. No one there seems very concerned about song theft or ownership issues. We write the songs, post the songs, collaborate, critique and learn!