Quote:

There's a problem with it though, (and also forum idea #1). Many years ago, we used to be able to search 5 years (or more) back. Now posts seem to be unavailable after a couple of years. (I haven't checked this lately.) If someone reviews a microphone, for example, I may be very interested, but not able to seriously shop (purchase) for a couple of years. Then the review's gone.

as I see it, one of the best advantages of having more specific forums is to keep the INFORMATIVE posts from scrolling away so quickly. It's the mingling of social posts with technical posts that bloat the forums and make it difficult to find the good information that is there.

Yet, it's the social aspect that keeps people coming (and while they're here they answer questions)

Even if its the social forums that actually generate good information (and that's the way ideas often happen) the info can then be copied or moved to the information forums where they will be easy to find later when somebody wants that information.