Quote:

It's interesting that you mention the strings sound. I wonder if that's because when I think of strings, I tend to hear the more classically sounding strings (Mozart, Haydn, etc) rather than the lush film score sound.

I should prefix this by saying that there's nothing wrong with the strings - they serve their purpose, and fit nicely into the song. They've got a nice figure that works well, and you've put them in effectively.

So... Why am I complaining?

My initial thought was "the strings sound fake", but I'm not so sure about that.

It's not even that they aren't "lush" - although that's a lovely sound! I think what's missing is the interplay between the various parts - even in the short snippet that you've got. Even when you've got a "static" chord, you'll have voice written so they're going in opposing motion. Or you'll have the violins and violas holding high notes, but give the cellos an ascending figure, or perhaps a solo viola a descending line.

Yeah, that's a lot of complaining about such a small thing! I guess that it was the only thing that caught my ear (and admittedly not a big thing) that says what a nice job the rest of the song is.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?