We either just have Janice sing one or two harmony parts with her lead vocal....or lately ask Floyd to provide a part :-) Back when we were recording in the late 90's I tried some harmony generators but they sounded like something from a bad 50's scifi movie -- I'm sure they have improved. Janice can do "car horn" harmony with herself but some times it's almost too tight -- if that makes sense. I've considered significantly changing the EQ of the harmony part and maybe off setting it a frog hair to see if it sounds more like two people??? After nearly 40 off and on years in bluegrass bands, I'm stuck on the beauty and simplicity of BG/old style country duets and trios. And the only way to make them sound right is with different human voices IMHO, FWIW, etc. Having blathered all that, I gotta say that this thread has definitely made me want to explore some of the possibilities that y'all have mentioned. Good read.

ps "Car horn" harmony is a bluegrass expression for exceptionally tight/accurate harmony.