Hi Guenter,

Thank you for having a watch and a listen. I appreciate your comments.

In relation to MuseScore ...

Since I'd written my song (complete with notation) in BIAB, I simply opened the MGU file directly into MuseScore. (MuseScore did not read the lyrics, though.) This compatibility with BIAB files is one of the strengths of MuseScore. It is only developmental yet, though. Once loaded, about 95% of the score was correct.

As shown by the image below, some bars were read with timing problems (#1) and bass notes of some slash chords were enharmonically incorrect given the key signature of A major (#2).

Fixing the slash chords was easy; just a matter of typing in C# in place of Db. Fixing the timing was a little harder. I played around with trying to adjust the notes in the bar but MuseScore seemed to be stubborn and I was inexperienced. It was far easier to simply insert a bar, enter correctly timed notes and then delete the faulty bar. Once I'd done that, copy and paste made it easy to correct similar bars by overwriting.

Originally I printed my score using BIAB's notation editor. The reason I moved into MuseScore was because I didn't like the inconsistency in the way that BIAB notated slash chords. Some chords were normal and some had the bass note written in superscript style. For my own general purposes, this inconsistency doesn't bother me but because I wanted to make the music available on the web for this song, I wanted consistency.

Overall, MuseScore impressed me a great deal - especially so since it's completely free. That being said, though, I'm still a huge fan of BIAB's notation editor. It's by far the easiest and fastest way of mouse-driven notating that I've come across.

Once again, thank you for listening!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024