Do you have a system for categorizing or remembering "riffs"

When one learns "riffs", whether it is from transcribing a solo, or from other sources, it is important to be able to recall that in your playing.

100% of the great players I've heard give teaching lessons emphasize the importance of "copying" and learning solos by others. But the next step is incorporating this into your playing. If you've learned a great solo to "Stella By Starlight", but the tune is now "Sunny Side of the Street", how will you be able to incorporate what you have learned into your solo performance on a different song?

I was wondering if people have heard tips from teachers on this topic, or have developed a system for catalouging or remembering riffs.

For example, I saw a video with Joe Pass, where he calls them "lines", and categorizes them in 3 types (major, minor and dominant 7th). Then he plays a whole bunch of major "lines", and then a whole bunch of "minor" ones.

Please note that I am not suggesting remembering and recalling riffs is all there is to improvisation. And of course once you get good, you start forgetting these basic rules.

- Do you transcribe or learn solos?
- Once you have done this, do you have a system of remembering or removing parts of the solo that you might use in other solos? What is it?
- Do you have a system of categorizing types of riffs, similar to what Joe Pass has (3 types, major, minor, dominant 7th)

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.