I agree that the genre should not be an issue, after all, labeling everything makes music into a bore, a repetition of the same old thing over and over. Therefore I believe that the style of singing/lyrics could be fitted on a blues, or any other style. The trick is to make it fit to eachother. In this case, the voice being too weak doesn't help judging it. As Ryszard allready said, there is a bit more convincing and stronger singing needed there.

I hardly would describe this as a (standard) blues, but as I also said, a style is just style and should not be restricted and with that limiting the creative thinking. I feel if you would sing it more powerful, you would allready be more convincing that the style and vocal CAN go together.

As far for the music, I think it sounds a bit thin. More base and a little more low end in the instruments, would not hurt...

A rough scetch that needs still quite some polishing, but it is a start. And it is a bit different too, which I think makes it a good thing.

I'll be back...