The User's Forum has, to the best of my knowledge, a single Jazz musician making contributions: ME! Another User Forum member - one of the most talented - has made insightful comments and suggested a group discussion to take up the issue.

You know, people have told me regularly that they don't like Jazz. No problem, it's what I expect. What makes me suspicious are non-musicians who claim to like Jazz. I never ask them, but I'm sorely tempted to ask, "Exactly what is it about Jazz that you like?" I used to characterize Jazz as "music for musicians." But even that needs modification to "music for some musicians."

The member mentioned above is fortified not just by talent, but also by a generous supply of candor that I especially appreciate. When he came right out and said he didn't like a particular Jazz vocal (Moody's Mood for Love), I tried to put myself inside his head and made the following return comments:

(1)Lyricism. As a superb lyricist and singer, you want and expect lyricism - music that has the potential for supporting emotionally laden lyrics. Simple chords (and not too many of 'em) work best, and country guitar is an art in itself. If you can get lyricism in a Jazz solo, great, but there are competing goals. For me, the purpose of a solo is to illuminate the chord changes in new ways, build excitement, throw some surprises, etc. If your solo isn't as interesting as the melody itself, why bother with it at all? Just play the melody over again instead.

(2) Chaos. This really jumped out at me in your comments on Moody's Mood. You explained why you didn't like it and used the word chaotic. I think that pins it down for many not drawn to Jazz - lots and lots and lots of notes. Incoherent, chaotic notes. Jazz is disorder that hides deeper order, but no one said that perceiving it is easy, immediate, or for most folks even possible.

What is the deeper order? Do the points made in (1)-(2), above, ring a bell? The last year that statistics were gathered for CD sales was 2008. Jazz sales accounted for 1.1 percent of the market, classical music 1.8. The blues didn't get a category of its own, and was lumped together with Rhythm and Blues & Urban. This category showed miniscule sales as well. Do these fields do poorly for the same reason, or does each have its own problems?

Let me know what you think.

Aleck Rand