Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Catwalk by Don Grusin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD1OXTrw7Tk

I absolutely love this tune and I have charted it out but I doubt I'll ever perform it live because good luck getting the guys together to rehearse this. The basic soloing section is easy but the horn lines and that theme? Not so much. This is what I call good fusion music, sort of classical/jazz. I like that violin.

I seriously doubt Grusin wrote that with the thought "Ha, try sitting in with this!" No, it's just good writing.

The thing to remember is all these guys are well educated masters of the old standards even though they don't perform them often. I found a vid of Jeff Lorber in a jam session doing Giant Steps. He played the absolute crap out of it. It was obvious he had studied it in school and knew it inside and out.

Bob

That was HOT! BTW, jazzmammal, since you are in LA area, go to Christian Assembly church in the Eagle Rock part of Pasadena - now and then you'll see some of those cats in that video sit in on the worship team. Abe Laboriel, Justo Almario, Alex Acuna - etc. They all live in that area and converged on that little church. I've been there a couple of times, and unfortunately none of them were there either time -but the band was still rocking.

They also were members of a killer fusion supergroup in the 80's/90's called Koinonia. Highly recommended listening. As far as I know, their recordings never got very popular here in the US because they were on a Christian label (I think it was Sparrow Records), but dang some hot playing and writing. The opening track to one of their albums, Gazoot, has one of the funkiest riffs.