Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
Quote:
So, by any objective standard we might choose the guy has pretty clearly established that he is "good"!

Sorry John. The general public doesn’t have a CLUE as to what’s “good” in music.

They only dictate what is popular.

It’s up to the musicians of the world to suggest
what’s “good”.

with all due respects, Bob.. and in the context of what has gone down in the thread so far... your observation about the public's knowledge of music comes dangerously close to declaring your musical sensibilities to be the standard by which all music is appraised.

This turn in the conversation really has ended up reinforcing the original point of the thread. Whereas I agree that the musicians of the world might be better qualified to declare what music is performed with technical proficiency (left brain) it is the marketplace of ALL listeners who declare what music pleases them. (right brain)

Since people tend to vote with their wallets, financial success *IS* a pretty good indicator of which artists have zeroed in on the mood of their audience.

(Which is a completely different thing than declaring which musicians are technically proficient on their instruments)

And the fact that in many discussions you have repeatedly taken a similar stance, I would conclude that your own approach to playing (and appreciating) music is very left-brained and technical. Not that you lack an emotional appreciation for music.. we all do... but your PRIMARY musical hemisphere is the left one

THAT is what I'm fishing for in this thread.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 06/16/13 09:28 AM.