Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

<snip>
This turn in the conversation really has ended up reinforcing the original point of the thread. Whereas I agree that the musicians of the world might be better qualified to declare what music is performed with technical proficiency (left brain) it is the marketplace of ALL listeners who declare what music pleases them. (right brain)

Since people tend to vote with their wallets, financial success *IS* a pretty good indicator of which artists have zeroed in on the mood of their audience.
<snip>

Hi Pat,
I would argue that while this would seem to be correct, it is because of an artificial, imposed preference.

It is my OPINION that the recording companies have, to a very large extent, dictated the tastes of the buying public by simply not making available anything other than what they want to sell. E.G. where do commercial radio get their source material..?

Ultimately we all like what we like (duh), in general people hate change, so once indoctrinated they tend not to change. It seems to me that, for the most part, the people who enjoy music other than that which has been prescribed by the recording companies are those who are reasonably talented musicians themselves. Yet even then there seems to be a large degree of indoctrination still working.

Of course, my own narrow minded preferences are in play here too. wink

Oh yeah, I personally believe there are basically two kinds of musician described in your question but there is, of course, lots of grey:

a) Musicians who love to create are, IMHO, more emotionally oriented in their musical endeavours.

b) Musicians who are motivated by the "business of music" approach it from a more intellectual perspective: "What does it take to sell songs?" and they work from there.

As always, this is just my opinion. wink

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!