Normalizing....

The best way to describe it is that it amplifies the signal. The cool thing, unlike compression, is, that it looks at the entire track and finds the HIGHEST peak. It then takes that peak to 100% or 0db unless you set a level less than that.

NOTE: It is possible to normalize above 0db however, that is not advised. If that is the goal, in this case a compressor may be the better choice, however you will lose the dynamic range of the music......

I often choose 96% normalization. This takes the track's highest peak to the 96% level and leaves a 4% headroom. Head room is important if you are converting to MP3 since the conversion process needs that extra room to prevent "overs". overs = peaks exceeding 0db = digital clipping = not good

It does not exceed that peak, and it amplifies everything else in the track IN RELATION TO that peak....so your dynamics are still in tact. Compression amplifies but can easily eliminate the dynamics.

I normalize ONLY when it is necessary. BB, I believe has a "normalize tracks on export" function so normalizing later in a DAW should not be needed.

If you can play back the track, and it has sufficient levels to hold it's own in the mix with the fader no higher than 0db, there is NO need to normalize it.

Normalizing does not bring the tracks up to the noise ceiling. It does however, raise the noise floor.... the noise under the music (room noise, mic hiss, etc)..... up by the same amount so it may actually be audible after the normalization is done. That's why I said to normalize only if it's needed. Most BB/RB tracks are pretty quiet in the noise floor area.

I will sometimes normalize a track I record....like acoustic guitar or mandolin. BB & RB tracks are generally OK without normalizing. After I work on a track in my DAW and export it, I will generally normalize it and that will only add a few db gain to the track. But I use Normalize to do that as opposed to compression to keep the dynamics and keep everything relative and clean.

Normalization is amplification that keeps the relationship & dynamics the same while boosting the levels and not exceeding a set maximum percentage of 0db.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/19/13 01:28 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.