Hey Josie,

I don't mind giving a precis...It won't start a discussion as I really don't think anyone really cares one way or the other.

Essentially he said that it was way to difficult to protect copyright without much in the way of corporate support (read some sort of publishing tie-in), and that plagiarism is quite rife in certain parts of the industry.

Not so much in stealing total songs, but pinching notable hook lines of lyrics and melodies. And of course once someone else has recorded/published/released "your" hook, well it is pretty damn difficult to then use it yourself, if you are sans publishing/recording contracts.

As I tried to explain to him my songs are nowhere near that level, and that bands put stuff up all the time. But he said it doesn't matter, if you come up with a good idea these days you really have to do your best to protect it. And in any case those bands/artists usually have a pretty good legal team behind them.

I thought he was pulling my leg at first, but he seemed serious enough. He did listen to the tunes and thought they were nothing too remarkable, good, but not special - but even so, to play it careful. Which is why I pulled them down.

TBH, I am really having my doubts on this one. He is usually spot on (even if I disagree at first - history usually proves him correct on other tips) but hmmm, well I don't know. I mean THOUSANDS post songs every hour and you don't read about any issues arising from that.

Being as it is the first time I have posted original work (done lots of covers) it did sort of resonate. Perhaps I over-reacted? I don't really know.

So there you have it smile

Dennis