The problem was a Norton Jazz style was chosen and since Dennis didn't have that style it reverted to zzjazz, which is a 4/4 style. The solution would be either to choose a jazz waltz from his own collection or purchase a Norton Style.

I never said I only use PG styles, in fact, quoting from my web site "I also suggested a style for each song from all the styles that were available for Band-in-a-Box when I compiled this disk. It is not necessary to have the book or my styles to enjoy this disk, but your fun will definitely be enhanced if you do."

Let me make this clear, you do not have to purchase Norton Music styles to use my fake disks. You don't have to have all the PG styles either. If you don't have the style assigned to the song, simply substitute one of your own.

When I do my fake disks some Norton Styles and some PG Music styles are used - I try to get whatever is best for the song.

Here is the long answer from one of my info pages:

When I wrote my first fake disk, I used only the built-in styles that came with Band-in-a-Box Pro. I immediately got requests from many customers to choose the best style from all the styles available for Band-in-a-Box.

I asked them, "What if you don't have that particular style?"

They answered, "We will just substitute one of our own. We have nothing to lose and something to gain if you tell us which style you like best."

So in an effort to please my customers, starting with Fake Disk #2, I suggested a style for each song from all the available Norton, and PG Music Style Disks available at that time.

Here is how I did it.

When I compiled my fake disks, I asked experienced, professional musicians to assign the styles to the songs. I asked them choose (suggest) the best style for the song from all the PG and Norton music styles available. I also asked them not to play favorites to either my styles or PG Music's.

When they were done, Leilani and I sat down, listened to all the songs, triple checked for any errors, made adjustments to chords that we thought didn't sound right due to the limitations of Band-in-a-Box, and in rare cases overruled the style choice of the person who assigned the styles for the disk.

Some songs have been done in so many ways over the years, that many different styles fit equally well. In those cases, only one style had to be picked. You might find others that work better for your taste in music.

Since the styles were chosen from the available styles at the time we compiled the disk, a more appropriate style may have been written since then -- also, you may not agree with our choice. In either case, you can simply change the style.

If you don't have the style chosen for any particular song, click the 'song...' button to open the song picker window. In the column titled "Style" you should see the style chosen for that song. If the style name started with the # sign, it's a Norton Music style.
1) If you don't have that style, you can go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html and find out what disk it is on. In many cases you can also listen to a low-fidelity demo of the style so you can hear if you have a similar style in your collection of styles.
2) If you like you can either purchase the fake disk that style is located on, or purchase a single style or multiples of single styles of your choice.

I guess there is no one best way to compile a fake book for everybody, but this way seems to be the way to get the most accurate rendition of the song possible at the time the book was compiled. Some of the songs are so true to the original, and jump through so many hoops to get that way, than Leilani (who does most of the work on the fake disks) has been called "The Band-in-a-Box Goddess".

If you don't believe me, check out the demo on this page http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake32.html and see what I mean. It's in BiaB's SGU format and contains no copyrighted melody or lyrics.

It sometimes takes Leilani one full day to make a song like the one in the link above, but in the end it's worth it.

You can also make your own fake disk. Anybody with a few thousand hours to spare can. What we offer is a time and work saver and nothing more.

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 07/02/13 12:05 PM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks