hey Floyd and Janice,

One might think that giving me what I asked for should make me happy, but... I think I hate you both. You're both wayyyy too talented to be thought of in any way except overwhelming jealousy and resentment. ;-)

Having said that, I'll continue the review with WOW! HOLY MOLEY! HOT DANG!

First of all, it's always fun to hear something totally unexpected, and that was! In the past I've mentioned that you both have a personal style that is recognizeably "your sound". By the time an artist has achieved that, it often becomes the safe place that eventually pigeonholes them. This song shows that each of you can perform vocal high-wire acrobatics without a safety net, and still wow the audience. (Ah, but Janice glitters like a diamond in a black velvet display case when she's in her niche, and its almost a shame to ask her to step outside it. I think its very cool that she honored your request and the results worked out so well)

Second of all, I am a sucker for music that works in front of a live audience, and I think this song would indeed work with any audience. The visual of the two of you playing a lounge on a cruise ship popped to mind immediately. I can imagine the stage interaction between both singers during the song, and the audience getting sucked into the chorus, singing along.

I listened to the song multiple times at various volumes. When the volume was low, your vocals over powered Janice's. When I turned it up, Janice overpowered you. It must have something to do with your different frequencies in relation to how my system handles such at different volumes. (does anyone else notice the same thing on their systems?) The good news is there was a "goldilocks' porridge" volume where it was "just right", so I continued listening at that volume.

I particularly liked the harmonic banter at the end. It reminded me of some passages that Josie Beck has included in her songs, with the same "hey this is FUN!" effect.

OK, this is getting long, so I'll stop here and pause to give each of you a squinty-eyed jealous look before I exit the room.
------
no wait, one more thought:
Much as I like this (and I really really do like it a lot) the thought occurred to me that years spent together have made Bud and Janice highly aware of their synergy. Bud intuitively knows how to create tracks that perfectly frame his wife's vocal image. You really can't reproduce in days or weeks what took a lifetime to create. Yet, this song has a totally different appeal than that which Bud creates so perfectly every time.

You are all so dang talented. All joking aside I really am quite envious.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 07/05/13 04:45 PM. Reason: lack of discretion?