Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi again, Dennis!

I just popped in for another listen. I'm still liking your song a great deal and I'm still convinced you're a very competent musician wink

I hope you don't mind but I received a bit of a surprise after reading through the above exchange of comments and I couldn't leave without adding a few thoughts. My feelings were that for someone who is pretty much a brand new song poster on this forum, you're being given a bit of a hard time.

I'm on your side. For what it's worth, I did not read you as "jumping" over anyone. To me, your post sounded polite and sincere. I'm a bit bamboozled as to how it's been interpreted it any other way.

I've seen it happen before, though. Because writing lacks the tone of speech, every once in a while, things get taken the wrong way.

• I have to confess. That happened to me just a couple of days ago! A good friend, and someone I respect a great deal in this forum, posted a comment directed at me that I read completely out of context. I was tired and could not see past my initial interpretation of what I'd read! I felt like an idiot afterwards when I realised I'd jumped off the deep end for no reason. Luckily this friend is very understanding *phew*! LOL!!! Oh well, the positive side is that it's good to know I still need to learn a few things in Life. Just when I thought I was on top of all that, too ...

Back to my thoughts ...

I never used to post lyrics to my songs. Then, one day, it occurred to me that by posting my lyrics, a few things happen.

• My lyrics are time-stamped by the forum software and, as such, another aspect of copyright protection is added.
  • Google indexes my lyrics. This allows people to check the work of others to see if they are infringing any aspect of copyright. For example, if you put "dancing and dreaming in gentle arms" into Google, the latest song I've posted here is at the top of the search results. That link will then lead the researcher to my audio recording. They can then compare what they hear with the work of others. With an audio recording alone, it's more complicated to find via a simple search. (Because I'm a school teacher, I'm always using Google to double-check whether students have copied and pasted from the internet as a shortcut on assignments.)
  • People from all the countries around the world might not understand every word I'm singing (that good ole Aussie accent doesn't work for everyone!). Having the lyrics helps them out.

These are simply my thoughts. I just wanted to share them for what they're worth. Please feel free to ignore them completely.

My main reason for writing this post is to say that I sincerely hope you are not discouraged from posting more songs. After listening to "On Our Own" for the 5th time, I have the feeling that I, and others, are going to learn a lot from hearing your work smile

All the best,
Noel

And Noel thanks heaps for your support - greatly appreciated m8 smile

And your words of advice are well met (as were Pats) and all has been taken on board rest assured so to speak.

Cheers

Dennis