Great posts/advice here... Thank You!

I have a question that could well be hypothetical for me because my hearing is pretty well shot after decades of standing next to amps, drummers, monitor stacks, angry ex-wives, etc.

Regarding mixing BIAB files in a DAW:

It is my understanding that our BIAB files (.wavs) are 16 bit files...

I've also been told that it's OK to import BIAB 16 bit files into a DAW project (Reaper in my case) that's been set up for 24 bit files - - because the DAW will just ignore what's not there in the 16 bit files and the added vocals, guitars, etc to the BIAB tracks will be recorded at 24 bit quality...

Are there any good technical reasons not to do this? (if so I could easily set up my Reaper projects up as totally 16 bit projects and happily carry on...) But, I like to gather as much information as I can, whenever I can. And I wonder if this situation might cause a problem down the line - for professional mastering engineers, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has a standard workflow or technically based opinions regarding exporting their BIAB 16 bit files?

PLEASE NOTE: I do not want to start another 16 vs 24 bit forum war here... I'm not asking if 24 bit audio is better than 16 bit audio - I'm asking if they can live together in the same 24 bit DAW project...

According to my ears (what's left of them anyway) it works OK. (I guess one could say that sentence answers my question!)

Thanks in advance!

just an old analog dog tryin' to learn new tricks...