Quote:
Before you go off on me, I have a few songs that are "abnormal" in structure, and in speaking with the writers in Nashville, I have been prompted to re-write those songs as well..... One has no chorus but simply a bridge and that really doesn't work in the N-ville town.....

<opinion>

With all due respect to Nashville, I think that the predefined song formula required to sell there inhibits true creativity and leads to cookie cutter songwriting. We often hear people complaining that all music sounds the same these days... IMO that's part of the reason why.

One advantage of a forum like this is that people aren't bound by the Nashville constraints. They can experiment and try something truly different... indeed, something that WOULDN'T fly in Nashville. Wouldn't THAT be a breath of fresh air?

Which, by the way, is exactly the phrase I would use to describe this song! It broke all of the Nashville rules and still worked! In fact it worked WELL (as in AWESOME)

A song that appeals to me immediately loses its appeal just as quickly. A song that requires me to hear it multiple times and thoughtfully consider what the writer was doing.. THOSE songs stay with me forever.

In summary, it goes without saying that Nashville is one of the few money markets for songwriters. As such, an awareness of what works there has real value. But Nashville does not DEFINE value. Where creativity is concerned, true value is defined by the ability to make something NEW work.

By that definition, Bud and Janice have created something of true value in this song.

I would love to see more true creativity in this forum and less peer pressure to define excellence in terms of any genre

</opinion>

standard disclaimer:
just because its my opinion doesn't mean you have to agree with it. What's YOUR opinion?