Joanne,

Wow! What a massive difference! Good job, well done. You are certainly learning in this course. I find that I learn something(s) on every mix I do.

As to the reverb and panning suggestions, there are some very good tips there. But to me, the reverb is only slightly too noticeable at the very onset of your vocals. After that, I didn't think there was too much reverb. I've been listening to some George Strait lately (pretty much required by law here in San Antonio, TX area), and a lot of what I hear in his productions have some pretty hard pans.

For different genres, there are different "patterns" of mixing styles. Not rules, but patterns - if you listen to records from year to year, you will hear these patterns change. Everyone will have their own personal tastes/likes/dislikes. On some of my songs I will have quite a bit of reverbs/delays on my vocals. If you solo the vox, they are quite noticeable, but in the mix you really don't notice it. On some of my songs, I will have some pretty hard panning. (Like Rog has suggested, I will usually have some delays/reverbs panned opposite, offsetting the hard pan, giving a fuller sound, if only subliminal.

I think the key is to not be too extreme, so that the effects become the centerpiece of the song (unless you truly intend for the effects to be the centerpiece of the song).

One of our members has a signature that says "if it sounds good, it is good". To me, though it may not be perfect, this one sounds good! Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann