https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

This was a great class. Really important basics are taught in this class. I wish that PG and other music tech companies could bundle up the videos as reference material.

But no need, you can take the class - download the videos for an incredible desk reference on the basics of recording, mixer usage, signal gain structure, etc.

It's free.

If you are a newbie, it's value is hard to measure. Seriously good content.

I wish it had been available when I started into this hobby 30 or so years ago.

I've been doing home recording for 20+ years, with MIDI sequencing before that for a good 8-10 years; and I learned a few really important topics in this 6 week course.

1. Where you should put a reverb or delay insert. It's very obvious to me now, but since the DAW I use does not have a mixer paradigm for signal flow, I've made the mistake of putting sends for these effects pre-fader a few times in the past.

2. Comb filtering - see the other thread I started in this forum for the results of my assignment that I did on this topic. (Video quality leaves some to be desired and I accidentally had the 'mirror' tick box checked on YouCam as I was doing my recording, so the comb filter results that you see on the FFT analysis on the computer screen is backwards from what you would expect to see). Anyways, I convinced myself that particularly for monitoring, I should be concerned about where my monitors are located (meter bridge is not a good idea!).