expressed mathematically:
Bud + Janice + Floyd = excellent
(or maybe fantastic ^3)

I grew up listening to Ernest Tubb and "Walkin' the Floor Over You", so this was like an old friend. I'd say you did a great job of capturing the feel of the genre (if your ability to make the listener's foot tap involuntarily is any indication)

One thing that really intrigues me about Janice's voice is the way it slides like an eel dancing on butter... yet it always sounds perfectly in tune! The only way I can justify that seeming inconsistency is that she nails the key notes, and everything in between passes as transition. Interesting.

I am also intrigued that so many of your songs fall outside the realm of experience... for example, you've got this rock-solid long standing marriage, but a lot of your songs explore the lives of people who have made very bad relationship decisions. Oddly, that makes perfect sense to me, for the following reason:

Those with wisdom learn by observing the mistakes of others...
the average person learns after making his/her own mistakes...
and the fool repeats the same mistakes for a lifetime without ever learning

My take-away is that your long standing marriage comes from your ability to see where others have gone wrong, and avoid making the same mistakes. And your ability to vicariously examine life's possibilities without actually going there gives you an endless supply of human drama from which to draw for your songs.

Or not. Another attribute of fools is that they just make stuff up then believe it because it pleases them to do so. wink

Whether any of this is true or not, one thing is definitely true: all 3 of you have an uncommonly well-developed feel for what makes a song interesting, and you know how to actualize your ideas into real songs that knock everybody's socks off.

Which is why I'm sitting here without socks, wiggling my toes and listening to your song over and over because it strikes some chord that I never knew needed to be struck.

PS: have you seen any of Kevin Emmrich's posts about Streetjelly.com? I would really like to see you there. You've got all these awesome original songs with backing tracks... your presence there would raise the bar for everybody