Herb: Your comments are valuable. They give insight into how you heard the song and, as such, provide very useful information. Thanks for taking the time.

Floyd: It's always good to see you. Thank you for taking time and listening and writing a few words. I don't know about Steve, but I'm still aiming to become as proficient and as productive as you! You set very high standards indeed.

Tommy: Thanks for having a listen. I agree totally with you. Steve's production ability is incredible! He certainly gives me something to aspire to.

Danny: It's always good to read you. Thank you for dropping in and taking time to listen. Much appreciated.

Joanne: When it comes to lyrics, and writing in AABA form, I like to use what I call the “Yesterday Principle”. I'll explain. When Lennon and McCartney wrote the song “Yesterday” using the AABA form, they only used 84 words (that's ignoring repeated sections). When I write a song in this form, I always keep that in mind and aim to keep my word count down as much as possible. My workflow is to write the lyrics and then go through and try and reduce them to 130 words or less. I also always challenge myself to see if I can reduce them to under a 100 words and still maintain the integrity of the lyrics' meaning. The end result is that what is obtained is 'simple' but it's often a long haul to get there! "When I Wake Up" has 109 words. Thanks for dropping by. It's always a pleasure to see/read you.

Pat: Hi there smile Whenever I read through your comments, in whatever thread you post, I'm always left impressed with your ability to think clearly, concisely say what you mean, and come across as a 100% decent guy. That's a rare feat on the internet. It's also why I smile when I see you avatar in a thread; I know I'm going to enjoy the read. I'm a fan smile Thank you for your input regarding this song. Every time I hear what Steve has done with the material I sent him for "When I Wake Up", I'm left feeling very very impressed. He's one fine musician.

Janice and Bud: Ain't the internet amazing. The other day at school, I was trying to give my students insight into what it was like before the digital age. They have grown up never knowing anything other than cell phones, colour TVs, the internet, computers, etc. I pointed out to them that today's reality only used to exist in science-fiction novels: no-one ever thought it'd become real! It's incredible to think that I can write a song with someone in Texas and he can put together a radio-ready version on his home computer! How far has the world travelled in the last 20 years?! Thanks for having a listen and the positive feedback. Your comments are always much appreciated.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024