I posted this in the forums in the Gary Burton jazz improv class, but it seems like most of the people taking the class are like me - pretty much jazz improv newbies. There are a few folks in the forums that seem to know a WHOLE BUNCH about jazz improv, and they talk right over my head.

We have a lead sheet that includes the chords and the simple melody of 500 miles by Chick Corea, and we are assigned to figure out which modes work for each measure given the chords, and notes that are in the melody in the measure and sometimes in the previous measure. I've done that. The second part of the assignment is to write out the notes of each of the modal/chordal scales for each of the chord changes. I did that as well.

With the exception of the altered scale that's in a couple of measures, when I wrote out the scales, the light went on that I know I've read about before, that the 7 typical modes are just major scales for various keys. So, here is what I posted over at those forums:
==============================================================
So, I've been working out scales that seem to fit in 500 miles, and as I'm writing out the scales, I'm realizing for most of them they are simply major scales of various keys (2 sharps = D major scale, but also it's E dorian, 1 flat = F major but also G dorian, etc.)

I know I've read this before, and Gary talks about it in one of the lectures, that this simple shifting takes care of the 7 modes. Now, I can nail major scales in my sleep - have known these since the 80's.

Would it be wrong to simply think of things like this?:

Lydian = V major scale
Ionian = I major scale
Mixolydian = IV major scale
Dorian = VII major scale
Aeolian = bIII major scale = I minor
Phrygian = bVII major = IV minor
Locrian = bII major = bVII minor
=============================================================

What do the jazz improvisers here think about memorizing this translation?