After being reminded that I hadn't posted one of my own songs in some time, I figured I'd take a leave of absence from the User Showcase until I finished up a new one.

It's been slow going. frown

I'd intended to do my own singing, but the results were pretty awful. One of my sons "helpfully" said that he could do a better job, but I'd have to pay him for the work. In some alternate universe, perhaps.

So after struggling with pitch correction and editing, I decided to give the main vocals on this went to the Vocaloid YOHIOloid. I might have another go at the vocals some other time.

Rather than polish this up before posting, I figured I'd post it a bit early, to get some feedback.

Here are some of the many things I think need fixing - feel free to add to the list:

• Pronunciation needs some correcting. The AVANNA Vocaloid has a close timbre in that range, so I'll probably splice in some bits from her to clean things up.
  • There are some points where the volume of individual words needs some detail work.
  • The vocals are too bright, and need rolloff on the high frequencies.
  • The vocals are too quiet.
  • The mix isn't well balanced at this point. Some of the instruments are still fighting against each other, and probably need to be pruned at points.
  • The introduction is blah.

Most of the instruments come from BiaB, and I'll try to provide the list later. The strings (excluding the solo cello) are Session Strings, and the remaining instruments come from GPO4 or Miroslav Philharmonik.

Comments welcome! smile (Bonus points for correctly guessing the inspiration of the song)

Falling
Afternoon in late July / I'm falling
Hidden in tall green river grass
Underneath the endless lazy sky
Plovers circle boats as they drift by

And I, with all my heavy cares / logic and my evening prayers
Abandoned all my plans / they wash away like sand

I am left suspended / with my castles in the air
Come tumbling down / down to the ground / there nothing there

Just a kingdom made of cards / broken promises and hearts
London Bridge is falling down / we all fall down

Summer's gone and snow is softly falling
Somehow I'm still living in the past
Gone those happy sunlit golden days
Like the autumn leaves / all blown away

Our time has past / the hour's late
Old Tom rings closed Oxford's gate
The closing of a door / that's barred forevermore

(repeat chorus)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?