Originally Posted By: ericdano
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
one problem with expensive gear is the law of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly. is a $10,000 Neumann mic really 100 times better than a $100 Shure? Nope. Probably not even twice as good. So you can easily end up spending a ton for very minor improvements in your gear.

Actually, Nuemann doesn't make a $10,000 mic. As someone who owns quite a few microphones, going from a Shure to an AKG C414 is a HUGE difference. The sound on a recording opens up. Much richer. Is it twice as good. Absolutely. The signal biggest thing you can invest in is a good microphone. Consider it an instrument, something that will last a lifetime.

I will respectfully disagree as I think you overlooked your mic preamp. I would invest in a good mic preamp before I bought a good mic. That Shure mic plugged into a good preamp will sound better than the AKG C414 plugged into a cheap consumer soundcard preamp.

Just my thoughts and I’m not trying to start a war.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware