Thanks, Mac, for the tip on the little button at bottom right of the mixer, which is a toggle to display or not display the audio track.

But I can't follow this:

Quote:
When Recording, it is important to set the Record Properties for your sound device, whether internal or external, to the Input that your quitar is coming in on, likely the Line input. Otherwise the VU movement you see while playing is coming from the sound device's Playback Mixer and what you are thus seeing is the Monitoring of the Input, which is necessary so that you can also hear yourself play while Recording.

I have:

1. An audio interface. It has knobs. There's nothing to set.

2. The interface software, which you can set to on, off, volume, mute.

3. A Computer with a sound card, which has software (Realtek HD Audio Manager) which I haven't touched in years, because it is so lame, and duplicative of windows.

4. Windows, i.e. the playback and recording devices dialog boxes.

5. BIAB.

What are you talking about, setting what, where?

I made the only possible settings in BIAB "Preferences/Audio Driver Type/ASIO" and "Audio Drivers".

OK, here I go. I hit the red "Record Audio" icon in the transport menu. Up comes the Record Audio Dialog Box. At top left is "Set Recording Levels". That starts the Windows "sound" dialog box, where my interface is the default recording and playback device, as it has been for several years now. Line in and Stereo Mix are also enabled. Close out of that, back to the BIAB Record Audio dialog box. Now I choose "test recording level" and I get the Vu meters -- two sets,"input" and "Output". If I hit the guitar I get action on the input meter and not on the output meter.

This means the guitar is being input to the audio track and the other tracks aren't, yes? What else could it possibly mean and why would I want to know? I got here from following the menus that are supposed to result in recording at some point, yes?

So I hit "record" down at the bottom of the "Record" Dialog Box. The track starts, I play, both sets of meters move independently. The track stops. The Dialog Box asks if I want to keep the recording. I say yes. The box closes and there is nothing in the audio track slot in the mixer; No file in the song's directory; nothing in the audio edit window. If something was recorded, it's well hidden.

Clearly I made a wrong choice somewhere but the obvious question is, why was it possible? The choices I made produced a configuration that does something, one must
assume, because if it didn't, why would BIAB allow it? But as far as I can tell, it does nothing. It sure doesn't record anything.