Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Just wanted to let you know I found this song on my first log in to the forum back in April last year and it is still my favorite so far. Like Floyd Jane, I return time and again whenever I come on the forum, pull it up, close my eyes and simply listen and enjoy. Like most posters, my musical influences let me 'hear' influences in a song. For instance, I don't necessarily 'hear' James Taylor influence probably because of the instrumentation and style choices you made in production seem to have a more country feel to me than acoustic rock that I associate James Taylor with. Eight months after first enjoying your song, I still associate strong influences of my musical background with your song. Because the influences I am hearing within your song remain even today, I'd like to share them with you. Being located in Florida, you may not be familiar with Carolina Beach Music, a genre that is extremely popular along the US east coast primarily stretching from Georgia up to Virginia. It may extend some into Florida but the bands seem to rotate from Georgia to Virginia Beach. Originating in Myrtle Beach, SC, beach music produced a dance called the Shag. (not the UK word LOL). With minor tempo and instrumentation tweaks in your arrangement, your song has huge potential commercially in that genre in my opinion. (I live near Myrtle Beach and have been involved in "beach music" since the early 1960's.) The closet connection of similar production to your song I can point you to for reference is "Shaggin' on the Boulevard" by Country artists ALABAMA. It was a national country and cross over rock hit for them several years ago and video is available on YouTube. While on YouTube, I also recommend you view Beach Music medley (Long Version) by THE EMBERS and "Lady Soul" by THE BAND OF OZ. Your song is very strong as you have produced it. It has a very good chord progression, strong lyrics and everything fits well into the mix. I'm not saying anything needs to be changed but just wanted to share my thoughts with you. Regards.

Thanks for the kind remarks. We are all the sum total of every piece of music we have loved. The James Taylor reference is amusing, because I absolutely loathe JT! grin

I am a bit familiar with shag dance music, since we spent the last three years living in the Upstate of SC – near Greenville. Never wrote any though; this was just a song I wrote while living in beautiful South Carolina. If you are connected to anyone who can get airplay for the song, please let me know and I'll notify BMI. wink

Thanks for taking the time to listen, and for the comprehensive review. If we ever get booked in MB we'll look you up.

Regards,

Bob