I'm looking for ideas. I'll get an idea for a song (normally a unique way to cover an existing song but sometimes an original) and will get the song structured just the way I want the song to sound in my mind. I'll have a good idea of the key, tempo style, feel and instruments that meet my needs. At this point I start working with 2013 BIAB and begin to loose my vision of the song.

My starting style selection will normally be something "close" to what I want. Most of the time only one instrument will play somthing similiar to what I have in mind so everthing else gets muted and I listen to the unmuted instrument while entering chords for the first verse. The vision starts to shift because of the influence of the "close" style.

Next comes instrument track selection. I may use mixer setting to swap instruments or try other styles to find one that is closer to meeting my need. The more instrument tracks or styles I try the more it seems I loose my vision for the song. By now, it's gone and I quit working on it, frustrated.

I've got four or five songs sitting in folders that I can't advance beyond this stage. I just can't get them to sound like I want. I get offtrack trying to zero in on the right style or selecting instruments that wil play what I want.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home