Hi Jim,

In my early days of using BB, I would have some of the same frustrations that you have described. Here is what worked for me (may or may not work for you...)

It occurred to me that I was the one that needed to expand my vision of what my song would sound like. For me, RealTracks and RealDrums are the main route. Not to start any more midi wars, but just my personal preference for the basic rhythm section is RT's (sometimes I will use midi drums). Two things I take into consideration...

1.) RealTracks are not going to be completely programmable to play note for note what you want to hear (at least not to date). As you stated, you can usually find at least one instrument that will come pretty close. For me, even if the notes and rhythms are what I "hear", if they don't end up blending well with the overall arrangement, they get replaced by something that does blend properly. So if the RT's are not going to be "exactly" what I want, and that cannot be changed, then I am the one who needs to be open to change. That leads to point #2...

2.) As a result, I consider the arranging process with Band in a Box to be still a part of the songwriting process. When you think about it, if you are working in a band (with real people) and you bring a new composition to the table, it is really rare that your original idea for how the finished song will sound totally comes to pass. Inevitably, a guitar player will come up with a signature lick that makes the chorus, etc. The better the musicians you are working with, the more freedom you will want to give them in this creative process. After all, it's what they do the best.

So when I get to the arrangement part of my songwriting, I think of it as if I am auditioning some of the finest studio musicians in the world. I have a basic idea of what I think the song should sound like, but MANY times in the arrangement process, I hear something that captures my attention. Instead of rejecting this every time, I allow myself to go with it.

Again, this is what works for me, and I am not saying you must follow this method. But I would recommend that you try it. Don't turn off the creative juices of your songwriting when you start up Band in a Box. Let Band in a Box help to take you to another level of creativity. You've got some of the finest, most creative studio musicians in the world, playing some of their best licks and riffs right there for you. Take them in and make them your own.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve

Ps. Nothing takes the place of becoming familiar with the RealTracks you have. The more you play around with the tracks, the more you will find what suits you. Also, don't be afraid to listen to parts that you might not think would work in your arrangement. I have been pleasantly surprised on many occasions with parts that I did not think would work together. It's a bit overwhelming, but keep chipping away at it. It sure is fun!

Last edited by Steve Young; 01/09/14 01:03 PM.

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann