So I got to wondering, since I've been active here for a few years now, and have heard some really nice mixes, just exactly what other BB user's studios look like.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

So here are some pics from my humble studio. It's essentially a corner in my upper room/ office.

My computer is a DAW that I custom built from parts about 4 years ago. i5 intel chip running XP-Pro. Several hard drives for storage and OS/apps. The CPU sets under the desk. On it I have an inexpensive DVD/CD writer and on that sets BB 2014.

Most everything is done in the box, with only a few things...vocals and guitar being either mic'd or direct.

My Yamaha DX-27S is on the left, and above it sets my laptop for internet and other musical purposes.
Monitors are Mackie MR-5's. And yeah... I'm breaking all sorts of rules regarding the rules for placement of speakers..... and the laws of physics too, I'm sure. My one saving grace is that I added ARC to the system a few years back. If you operate in such a space as this, have a serious look at ARC.

The only sound treatment in this room are the furniture and the carpet. The ceiling is old square acoustic tile (12"x12") with the rest of the walls being sheetrock/plaster with wall paper....and no sound proofing what-so-ever. I can hear every truck on the road one block over. I try to time my audio takes between trucks and trains..and in the summer, week whackers and dogs.

Here is my humble work space. The one glaringly obvious thing missing is a lava lamp... Perhaps I can get one of those in the near future. I hear that having one on the monitor really improves the mix.

Guitar amps and the Polk sub.

Hope you enjoyed seeing my humble work space.....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/17/14 06:21 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.