I was asked to list the REAL TRACKS used as well as my production techniques ... here you go:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Find your own way

Style is _BALLP16.STY (16ths Pop-Rock Ballad [85 RS])

RealTracks in style: 1759:Bass, Electric, Pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 1764:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsA-B Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 1606:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 788:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CrossoverClean Sw16 090 (A:held)
RealDrums in style: NashvillePop16^1-a:Snare, Hihat , b:Snare, Ride

I first made the arrangement in BIAB then exported all the files as mono WAVs and imported them into REASON. I switch between Cubase and REASON as my DAW of choice, but lately I prefer REASON's easy of use.

One thing to note: Always set your tempo to the same tempo as BIAB prior to import. This way the click tracks line up with the beat. This makes it easier to add new audio tracks after import.

I sing a scratch lead vocal as a guide, first to make sure the arrangement is right and everything lines up.

I then added Acoustic Guitar (playing my Taylor figerpicking), Electric (Strat via Line 6 500x), and some Reason Refill instruments (Harp, Piano, touch of strings in Mid 8). The harp was interesting, if you transpose to F# or B you can do a nice glassando across the black keys, then transpose it back into your original key, and it will sound just like a harp.

I did a lot of editing of the Real Tracks once imported into REASON ... deleting parts, Slicing, audio stretching of notes to hold longer, etc.

I then added vocals, vocal backups, and then mix and master.

I then export the song as a WAV file and import into MAGIX Movie Producer Pro ... find images on google, and build my movie to the musical cues. I may add a touch of compression and eq using Magix audio plug-ins to polish the final output.

I then upload to Youtube, and distribute the song.

It can take between 50 and 100 hours work from concept to completion ... some more some less. This song in particular was a real problem, and a lot of hours, because after I recorded the whole thing I found that my lead vocal was not able to hit some of the notes in the Mid 8. So I scratched that version, and redid the whole process again in a new key ... duh!

Thanks for listening. More to follow.

Last edited by Elliott Kayne; 03/02/14 03:29 PM.

Elliott Kayne
elliottkayne@gmail.com
https://www.reverbnation.com/kaynemusic
https://www.facebook.com/ekayne

Health, Wealth, Family, Faith, Friends, and Fun