Let me see if I can say this the right way without offending too many people.

I try to be constructive in everything I say when I comment about someone's song. I know how I feel when someone comments in a negative way on mine. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to song writing or engineering a recording, however, Ive been around music for many decades, in every aspect of it, and I do try to share my limited but growing knowledge with others to the best of my abilities. If a song structure is a bit out of the ordinary, I may comment on that. If the vocals are pitchy, it's not a slam on someone's singing abilities to say that they should consider Melodyne for the vox track. I can sing fairly well and I use ME on every single vocal track that comes through my studio as a finished track for every singer, and most especially, me.

Nothing I say when I comment on a song in any manner is intended to be hurtful or negative or seen as putting down a song or someone's talent, but I am here to tell you, I have been taken to the proverbial wood shed by some folks over some the comments I have posted.....so I'm trying to be a bit more..... uhhhh, what's the word here.....? "Sensitive?"

So, with my initial comments, it was a case of should I have, or should I not have, and I opted to pull them down. Thank you for clarifying with your reply that you do wish to get details in the commentary beyond the standard... "Hey loved it, good job".... cool

So, with that in mind, yes, I thought I did hear some compressor issues in the song, especially evident to me in the headphones in V1. Kinda like the release was slow and grabbing the entire mix, not exactly pumping but it certainly sounded like it was hitting the acoustic guitar's initial attack on the strum. You gotta listen carefully. It is very subtle. You can hear it rising back up.

OK, saying this too.... knowing how BB and RB tracks sometimes sound and how they interact with each other in weird ways, that could also be at fault and it not be totally a comp issue. More than one time I have searched a project with 12 to 20 tracks looking for something that didn't sound right and found it to simply be the interaction between 2 RB tracks causing it.

On the sibilant highs, I almost hesitate to comment when I hear that unless it's really noticeable since I realize it may be the low end speakers and headphones I monitor with breaking up and not being able to handle the high end cleanly. Cheap tweeters and a $30 set of Yamaha cans. I rarely take the time to move someone's song into my studio for a listen on my studio monitors. If it's not cutting the mustard on normal (cheap) computer monitors and my cans plugged into my lappy, the studio probably won't do it any favors either.

I know this is nit picking but I know that if it was my mix, and you heard something in the song, or the mix, that was a fixable, avoidable issue, I would appreciate the heads up on what you thought was the issue so I could learn from that experience. Sometimes, we get lazy. We hear the issue as we mix, and figure no one else will notice. (I'm guilty of doing this a lot)

Yeah.... so, no more redacting my comments. If I hear something in a song AND I decide to comment, I will let the chips fall where they may. Hear it and learn, or hear it and get mad.... it will be the choice of that individual writer/engineer. I will do my best to be sensitive, but I will be saying what I believe to be the case. As always, folks are free to PM me with their flames. I've got a fire extinguisher.

Sorry to be so long winded. We now return you to your regular forum.....

BTW: loved that guitar tone too.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/05/14 06:17 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.