In my experience, a good geek can use defrag effectively when needed.

It's definitely not the first 'go to' here, but it can help, depending on the system set up.
Especially for those using the same drive to read audio output data and write the audio input data. Having a large reliable open chunk of drive space can help in this (and other) situations. Drive thrash and all ..

The way I use RB it is often 'reading' (playback of existing tracks) over 20 tracks. With effects.

Then I ask it to record another bunch .. it may be 2 or it may be 8 or 16 more. If I can have one drive 'reading' and another one 'writing' the incoming data, that's the best scenario. However if I am expecting a single drive to do both, defrag can be helpful.

Experiments have found that using defrag as a first step, then re-saving the RB file (so it interweaves the tracks as the file saves) has improved performance also.
Props to Silvertones for that tidbit.

Recording audio, generating tracks, and doing what we do with BiaB/RB (including FX etc) is a pretty specific/touchy thing. Things keep getting better and better for us; enjoy!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome