On the point of the history of notation Mac, I can see where you are coming from and all the points you raised are true, however my view (only mine) is that the notation system is cumbersome. English is similar because it has grown from a hotch potch of needs and conditions and influences, it has so many anomolies and illogicalities, grammar is needlessly complex.
Same with music notation, it was first developed before Fux in the days of Church Modes as a few scratchings on the sides of manuscripts before the concept of the major scale was properly developed (as we would see this) when some intervals were associated with the devil and when there was no equal temprement instruments - notation was mainly for choirs and plain (type) song.
It was also developed to be facilitated by the scratching of the quill pen - lines squiggles and blotches
As time proceeded notation was hacked and used to suit various instruments and settings - in a hotch potch fashion.
Unfortunately we were still left with needlessly terrifying terms such as "Mixolydian" "Appogiatura", sforzando and many more " (OK I can't spell them).
If basic things were put more simply we would all learn doppio movimento to put it in notation terms.

I have deep sympathy for anyone trying to learn notation, many are put of by its needless obscurities. There is a lot of damage done by the classical route education (IMO)

I am on my soap box....I admit

Zero

Last edited by ZeroZero; 03/12/14 01:31 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k