Originally Posted By: csassakb
Rich

I appreciate your feedback. Could you please list out each piece of equipment I need to make this happen?

I have a laptop with BIAB
I have a BOSE PA/Monitor/power amp
I have my guitar

What am I missing?
Interface??
Higher quality sound card??

Anything else?
Curt

From what I can tell from your setup, it sounds like the only thing you would need is the USB audio interface. It's generally intended as a way to record on your PC, but I found it works great in a live setting. The digital signal is routed through a USB port into the audio interface where it is converted to analog. The Digital to Analog converters in the audio interface are generally much better than what are on a laptop's sound card. At least in my case, I think the sound is much cleaner. I give a lot of credit to others on this board for steering me in that direction.

I went with the PreSonus USB Audiobox. Can be had for around $120 from Sweetwater and other music retailers. I also considered the Focusrite 2i2, which sounds like a nice unit. The audio interface comes with a copy of StudioOne Artist. I prefer playing WAV files instead of BIAB files as I feel there's less to go wrong when using WAV files and (as I'll explain below) I find them easier to handle on stage.

Here's my workflow. I generally create the song in BIAB and get it as close as possible, complete with intro and ending. I then export each part as a separate WAV file and then import those into StudioOne. Once in StudioOne I tweak the parts a bit, maybe cut a guitar part out on a verse or whatever. I'll also add a few MIDI parts at this point, if needed. StudioOne also allows me to add some effects, EQ, reverb, etc. Once it's done (which it never is...) I export this as a single WAV file.

For playing live, I built a simple web site that is hosted on my laptop. Each page has a separate WAV file embedded in it, so all I have to do is hit the enter key to start the next song. (If anyone's interested, I'll send you a copy of the site.)

That's about it.

Good Luck

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist