An absorbing thread, as are many here, full of thoughtful contributions that make me and I guess many of us think critically about our pet assumptions and viewpoints .

May I add a correction to my claim above about the average level of annual income tax payed by the average full time adult income earner In Australia. I overlooked stating that there is a 1.5% levy on your annual income tax specifically to pay for the UHC system we call Medicare here. However, the total income tax figure I stated of $15-17,000 Australian dollars a year on an average annual full time adult income of $50,000-60,000 AUD includes the Medicare levy and thus remains correct.

So in short, on $55,000 annually you'd pay maybe $850 a year Medicare levy. Children, juveniles, students, pensioners and those on social welfare of some kind, eg. unemployed, disabled etc. get UHC for free. Regarding immigrants, you only have to qualify for permanent residency here to get it- don't even have to take out citizenship. Unbelievable largesse, really.

I'm no pinko, but having seen UHC in action from both sides of the bedrail for at least a generation I am solidly sold on it. However, I accept that societally it is a huge change of gears from for-profit health care, and possibly is just a bridge too far for the USA. Whether for good or bad, your whole culture just seem to be significantly more dollar-driven than mine.
Certainly different, to concur with Glenn above. But- worse...or better?

John