Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Good song and quite unique. This is a good collaborative effort with Tom.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
wow, I liked this one quite a bit!

Here's what I liked:

1) the overall flow of the song just worked for me in a mysterious way that's hard to pin down> Maybe it was the way the mix flowed so smoothly and fused with Janice's voice so tightly that it didn't sound like separate entities at all, but rather as one cohesive unit.

2) I liked the recurring guitar riff... to me that sort of thing really goes a long way toward making a song recognizable and unique

3) the native flute was good call.. IMO, it totally worked (and usually I don't like that sort of thing... all too often it sounds contrived to me)

4) The beat was consistent with a tribal dance, but I kept expecting native drums rather than the more electric hand-clap kit. Maybe the introduction of such drums would have pushed the native theme into "contrived" territory, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't have.

5) If you are familiar with the book/movie WHALE RIDER, this song took my mind there. Although that story is not about native Americans, it is about New Zealand Maori, which would be their equivalent. The line "Grandfather said I was a chosen one " is what stirred the association.

Very nice in every way! Hats off to all the participants in this project!

Pat it's great to see you back on the forum. Your insight and thought provoking contributions have been missed. We are delighted that you like the tune. It as an interesting departure for the three of us and we weren't sure how it would be received. Tom did a great job with the production and the flute was his idea. At one point I considered purchasing a NA flutes and having Janice play the part but Tom found a loop and got it to work well. And he used just enough to keep it, as you, mentioned from sounding contrived. I understand your thoughts re the drums -- I think it would have worked either way.

No, I haven't read that book but intend to now - I have read extensively on NA history.

Thanks again!