I think you missed 7 states...at least according to our dear leader.

OK to the topic...

CB radio... I was in that back in the 70's when it was very popular. It was the equivalent of the chat rooms and forum sites we now use for social media gatherings.

Any time day or night you could hit channel 22 and give a shout and someone would be there. Every now and then, we'd have an "eyeball" session and meet for coffee. One guy in the group, called himself ranger, had a 500w rig with some directional beams and a moon raker for locals on 5w.... I recall one night listening to a conversation between him and a skip-talker in Nova Scotia. I heard both sides for the 10 minutes the skip was favorable. None of the locals on our end could hit this guy with our portables. When I first moved to this house, the neighbor on the corner had a linear rig and a 50' tower. His son would get on there and key up and I could hear him on my TV.

I still have 2 radios but rarely turn them on. One is a cheap RS 40 ch model and the other is a Tiger something or other that is a flat out talking radio. One night coming home from a gig at 1:30 am I heard two guys talking and they sounded local. Nice 5x5 signal. I waited for a lull in the conversation and jumped in... one of them responded to me. We talked for a few minutes and asked where in Western Wilson co they lived..... turned out they were 30 miles to my south and we were talking like they were 3 miles away.

Eventually, when the FCC removed the license requirements for CB... they had lost total control over the spectrum anyway, it finally died off. Now it's back to truckers and other small groups of folks.... the family radio walkie talkies gave a whole new batch of channels and they talked further for hand helds than the CD walkie-talkies.

They were fun. Now, though, with cell phones, no one uses radio except for the hobbyists and the serious ones of those folks are on ham.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.