Hey all, I'm back.

Josie. Sampling rate comes down to the Nyquist Theorem. Basically what it says is that the highest frequency that you can record is half the value of the sample rate. So, with 44.1K, the highest frequency you can record is 22.050KhZ. Human hearing goes to about 20kHz. MINE goes to about 14 or 15kHz, on a good day! My cat's may go to 60kHz. For 48k, your upper sampling frequency will be 24kHz. Out of the hearing range of humans, but still able to capture harmonics of a sound. Then we get into 88.2, and 96kHz sampling rates, which are 'double speed.' My cat could possibly hear sounds that high, but I can't. Most microphones and speakers will not reproduce sounds that high.

Then we have the idiots who want to record at 192kHz, or now 384kHz. WHY??? There is no audible sonic material at those levels, plus any filtering is going to drive the noise floor UP, not down.

I record at 24bit, 48kHz. That gives me plenty of dynamic range, and a sampling rate that doesn't give me overly huge files, but still captures all the details I want.

I'll add more to this tonight when I get home.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!