Bob, the 90 dB Bob,

I'm not saying that we made the George Massenburgs of the world lose their jobs, but the advent of the use of home DAW software and even TASCAM portastudios in the day, did to some extent start the process of the local "Golden Tones Studio" mom & pop studios for local bands to record their stuff - we set the stage for the mediocre folks to eventually be out of work.

Same with photography and professional photographers.

Same with typists.

Same with videography.

BTW, "She's Already Made Up Her Mind" by Lyle Lovett and engineered by George Massenburg is in my top 10 recordings of recording as an art form. Listen to it with the finest set of headphones that you can afford in the quietest room. The ride cymbals are glorious.

We don't have to agree. Heck, the advent of the DAW put people like PG INTO work, so it's not always in the 'loss' column. It shifts.

The folks at Focusrite, PreSonus, etc. LOVE the fact that we do home recording. We gave them jobs.

I still submit that anytime we take on a role that has in the past been paid in our ability to do it because of technology/affordability of the technology that lets us do it ourselves, we 'shift' the paying job to the provider of the technology and away from the person using the previous generation of technology. Perhaps that's a better way to say it than forcing someone to lose their job.