Taking this into the broader business market with a slightly different example....

I'm in the security business. I install and service burglary & fire alarm system among other things. I typically install custom systems for folks who are well off and live in nice houses in the better parts of the town and country area around here. I don't give anything away. My prices tend to be among the higher ones if there are multiple bids.

I sell basing on the quality of the equipment, the neatness of the install, and the service after the sale.

I am competing with national companies who practically give the gear away for free to get the customer's account. I don't install nearly as many new security systems in homes now (compared to 22 years ago) because many people are only concerned with the price. That is the reality. Another reality is the equipment I sell costs me more at wholesale than the entire install (including labor) from the nationals. I can't match that deal unless I work at a loss.....and that business model doesn't work well if you want to eat.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is this. That is the reality of the business environment I find myself in, in the midst of trying to run a profitable business . I can not force my competitors to charge a fair and equitable price for their gear and labor. If I had not adapted to this changing business environment, made plans to survive and even prosper in it, I would have been out of business years ago.

I saw the changes coming, realized there was nothing I could do to turn it around, and so I found niche markets that were under served and didn't lend themselves well to the cookie cutter mass marketing approach. As a result, I'm still in business 23 years later.....and still making a very comfortable living working with things I enjoy and providing a much needed service. As of today, there is no one else in a 3 state area that does what I do. Yes, my niche is that unique.

So....simply equate that to the music business. I can't tell you what to do or how to do it.....that's your job to figure out. But the question is..... could you find some aspect of the music scene that is not being served by everyone else? Can you stand out from the crowd? If so, and with proper marketing, you can make a fairly comfortable income from music no matter who else is charging what or playing for free.

If you think about it.... nothing is really new now. Back in the day, (35 years ago) there were clubs that offered low price gigs..... $75 or so for the band per night on the weekend..... at the same time, there were also clubs that offered $400 vs 75% of the door. Good bands could make upwards of $1000/night at places like that. Where you and your band played was determined by your skill level more than anything else.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/22/14 05:45 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.